ahoffman1979

ahoffman1979

Timepiece - Myra McEntire
Second disappointing installment in series

In Myra McEntire's Timepiece, things are still going badly for the members of the Hourglass. Though Kaleb didn't think he had the time-travel gene, he's starting to see time ripples and something feels very wrong. With demands and threats coming from both the man who murdered his father and a dangerous new stranger, Kaleb and the other Hourglass recruits must decide which risks to take in order to fix things or else the very fabric of time may be altered forever.

Though I didn't enjoy McEntire's debut, Hourglass, as much as I would have liked, I went into reading Timepiece with the hope that it would be a better experience for me. Unfortunately, it wasn't. Even with Kaleb as the new narrator, the writing and the story never pulled me in. Kaleb's voice felt too forced in its hormonal, "guy" nature, and Kaleb's feelings and personality shifted too much in a short time span to be believable. The time-travel and "veil" mythology also became even more murky and convoluted in this installment. Because I didn't understand how the world worked, nothing ever felt like a real risk because I didn't truly understand what was going on. When conflicts did arise, they were resolved much too quickly or too easily and the moments of dramatic tension never felt that way. Because of all of these things, I felt uninterested and uninvested in the characters, their relationships, and their troubles.

On the positive side, readers do learn more about the Hourglass group and their history, as well as about the villains and other adversaries. Even though I didn't enjoy Kaleb's voice as the narrator, some might appreciate his tone, and it does provide a welcome change from all the "sparking" and swoony talk of Emerson in the first installment. Lily, Emerson's best friend, takes on a major role in this sequel, and she is easily the most interesting and complex character in the series. Her spunk and personality added life to the tale and often kept it moving along during some of the slow parts.

Though this series doesn't seem to work for me, I'm glad that others enjoy it and its ideas about time travel. In the next book of the trilogy (Infinityglass), I hope McEntire brings greater clarity to her time-travel mythology and that she raises the stakes for her characters in order to create an engrossing read.

Note: This review refers to an advance review copy.