ahoffman1979

ahoffman1979

Dark of the Moon - Tracy Barrett Creative re-telling lures readers back to ancient Greece

Tracy Barrett's [b:Dark of the Moon|10044423|Dark of the Moon |Tracy Barrett|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51XuPM9weEL._SL75_.jpg|14940258] lures readers back to the time of ancient Greece. On Krete, Ariadne has spent her whole life being trained to be she who will be Goddess. Her only true companions are her mother, the current Goddess, and her malformed brother, Asterion, who is imprisoned beneath the palace due to his unintentionally violent ways. When a tribute ship of slaves arrives from Athens and delivers Theseus, the son of a king, Ariadne's life becomes even more complicated as death, family, and duty intertwine.

DARK OF THE MOON delivered on its promise of providing a creative re-telling of the Theseus myth involving Ariadne and the Minotaur. Myth or not, the way in which the story was written made everything believable as having happened in history at some point. Barrett was able to place the tale within the historical context of the time by bringing in fascinating information about politics, religion, and culture, and she did so in a way that kept me intrigued. The author also used a very sympathetic and human approach that I appreciated to explain the characters, their actions, and how they developed into the people described in the original myths. The book's consistent pacing also kept me turning pages, especially as the plot picked up in the second half.

However, as with any re-telling, parts of the story were very predictable, even if the paths to certain outcomes were changed. Because of this, it was sometimes difficult to feel excited about reading forward because I felt like I knew what would happen next. The writing also came off as burdensome sometimes, especially the switch from Ariadne's chapters being told in past tense to Theseus's being told in the present tense. The related jumps in time throughout the story were off-putting as well. With much less romance than the original tale and some heavy violence and implied sexuality, this book will likely appeal to a smaller niche market of older teens who like mythology and who can handle the gory descriptions of violence.

Overall, Barrett provides a creative and very human twist on the tale of Theseus and the Minotaur, but it's likely not enough to appeal to a large audience. I'll be interested to see what Barrett writes next, though I won't necessarily be rushing out to pick it up.

Note: This review refers to an advance review copy.