ahoffman1979

ahoffman1979

Future Imperfect - K. Ryer Breese Creative idea but disjointed execution

In K. Ryer Breese’s debut novel, FUTURE IMPERFECT, Ade Patience is a guy who gets high in a very unusual way: he bashes in his head. Though most consider him a freak, Ade knows his dangerous addiction allows him to see into his own future. When one of his predictions comes true and he meets beautiful Vauxhall, Ade expects things to get better. But Vaux has an addiction of her own, and their problems bring them close to a dangerous version of the future. Ade wants to change things, but it will take him going against the rule he’s always been taught: that the future can’t be changed.

FUTURE IMPERFECT starts with a compelling examination about what can motivate high-risk and addictive behavior in teens and how outside parties view it. Even though addiction in this story is linked to the supernatural, this book may help others understand that the psychology of addiction is very complex with no simple answers. The creative supernatural premise used to tell the story also takes a welcome departure from the usual werewolves, vampires, or faeries seen in other books.

Despite this potential, this novel and its storytelling never grabbed me. The first half of the book felt very disconnected from the second. While the initial portion focused on relationships , there was an abrupt shift to supernatural drama in the second half. This hasty switch and the new characters introduced to move along the plot felt campy. Overall, the world building felt rushed and poorly done. The mystery involved, the villains introduced, and the outcome also felt contrived, and many things were left poorly explained. A few of the characters could have been sympathetic, but I never felt connected to any of them or their struggles. The relationship between Ade and Vauxhall also seemed too quickly realized, even despite the plot point regarding this.

Though this book had the potential to be a gritty tale about the intersection of addiction, the supernatural, and the mutability of the future, the bumpy transition in the middle and my limited ability to connect to the characters prevented me from being pulled into the story. In the future, I hope Breese blends the real and the unreal together more seamlessly and with more relatable characters.

Note: This review refers to an advance reader's copy.