ahoffman1979

ahoffman1979

Prom Nights from Hell - Michele Jaffe, Lauren Myracle, Stephenie Meyer Disappointing stories with no endings

PROM NIGHTS FROM HELL is an anthology composed of five paranormal romances from five young adult authors: Meg Cabot, Kim Harrison, Michele Jaffe, Stephenie Meyer, and Lauren Myracle. I picked this up after reading the sister anthology, Love Is Hell, which I enjoyed a great deal. Unfortunately, as a short story collection about paranormal romance and the prom, this compilation fell short.

Of the stories, only one contained a complete story arc from beginning to end (Myracle's "The Corsage") and only one was set entirely at prom (Meyer's "Hell on Earth"). Most of the stories finished with little to no conclusion. Instead of being self-contained, most felt like the first few chapters of a book. In some cases, it's now obvious this was intended, as is the case with Kim Harrison's story that later become her YA novel, Once Dead, Twice Shy (Madison Avery, Book 1). For a short story collection, though, it was unsatisfying. Also, while it's not necessary that all of the stories be set at prom, a few of the selections were very limited in their relation to the theme. The writing came off as juvenile at times too.

On the plus side, reading this anthology was a great way to sample the work of five popular authors. Without buying a book from each, I was able to get a taste of each author's writing style and characterization skills. Of the writing, Meyer's was the best written and was a bit riskier in content and description than her Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1) series (though there's nothing salacious at all).

If you're looking for quick, enjoyable reads of a similar nature, I would highly recommend checking out Love Is Hell instead.